Plank is one of the body weight exercise, that will never go out from the fashion because is one of the most effective workout you can do. Staying for a minute in the plank pose may seem like a really simple exercise. But if you have not tried it before, you probably didn’t feel the real power of it. You will be surprised how powerful one exercise can be. And here are the benefits of plank:
- Build your strength – planking will help build your core muscles groups including the transverse abdominals, the rectus abdominals, and the external oblique muscle. As your abdominal muscles become stronger, your mid-section will get tighten and gets “six-pack” look. Moreover it strengths your chest, neck, shoulders, bottom, hamstring and calve muscles.
- Improve your posture – plank works all the muscles you need to maintain proper posture, like your back, chest, shoulders, abs, and neck. If you do planks regularly and correctly, you’ll find you’re able to sit and stand with straight and stable posture.
- Improve your balance – your abdominal muscles stabilizes your body, allowing you to move in any direction or stand in one spot. Through improving your balance by doing plank you will boost your performance in any kind of sport activity.
- Increase your flexibility – while building strength, planks also increase flexibility in your posterior muscle groups. The muscles around your shoulders and shoulder blades will expand and stretch, as will your hamstrings and even the arches of your feet and your toes.
- Reduce back pain – by doing plank correctly you are not putting to much pressure on spine and hips. By doing planks regularly not only significantly reduces back pain but it also strengthens your muscles and ensures a strong support for your entire back, especially in the areas around your upper back.
- Relieve stress – every exercise has the potential to give you a mood boost, and planks are no exception. Holding your body tightly in position while breathing deeply can act as a form of meditation to clear your mind.
- Easy to modify – there are many variations of the plank. You can go for a side plank, superman, reverse, bridge or dynamic plank. Basically, you can do an entire month and every single day a new plank variation, recruiting different group.of muscles.
- No special equipment required – there is no need to go to the gym or to have a trainer to do this move. Just get down on a yoga mat and hold a correct posture. Moreover, the plank is a time efficient exercise, as it is enough to hold it four times one minute if you are an advanced user.
- Safe exercise – planks are not a dangerous workout, as you working only with your body mass. If it is done correctly, only your muscles hold you in a straight line.
- Simple exercise – all that you need to do is to hold a straight line from your heals to the head. Sound simple, ah? But there are some tricks, and you have to master them, to get all the benefits from the plank.
As you can see it’s hard to beat the plank. Find a variation that works best for you, devote five to ten minutes every day and get rock hard ABS.